Monday, November 2, 2009

New pup!


I know I haven't posted anything in a while but life has been a little crazy. We have adopted a new dog!! His name is Rocky and he is a pure bred St. Bernard.






The road for us and him has been long but now he is in a good home. He is a little over a year old and about 100lbs. We rescued him from an organization called Big Dogs Huge Paws...they are amazing. When they found him he had a chemical burn on his back and appeared mal-nourished; every now and then he still cowers and acts like you might beat him depending on the noise or the fast movement.


However, he is a huge love bug. He loves nothing more than to cuddle up and lay right on you.





Our choice to get another dog was not necessarily for us, it was for Apollo. He needed a buddy and we decided now was the time. We couldn't take another day of watching him sulk and be depressed as he watched all the other dogs outside.

When Apollo and Rocky first met it was a little "rocky" for both of them. However, once we went on a short walk and brought them both upstairs they played like buddies. We signed the paperwork, everyone left and Matt and I looked at the dogs and said "Now what?" The dogs tricked us those first couple of hours. The first night was okay...but the next 3 days were the roughest. We love Apollo and we adopted Rocky for him and for the first 3 days they hated each other. Apollo looked so depressed that I wanted to cry. Rocky wanted to just lay on Matt and I and be the boss and Apollo loves dogs and people and he didn't know what to do. There were 2 big fights regarding food and toys...but they were shortly resolved. Then on a Tuesday afternoon when Matt had off I got a text message saying that they were playing!! It was such great news! Before the text every time Ap
ollo would even walk past Rocky, Rocky would growl at him. I even contacted the agency because I was so scared it wouldn't work out. She told us it could take up to a month...but it didn't.



Now they are best buds and love to play around...they have a few small disputes every now and then but they work it out :)

On a small little soap box for a moment...
I stand by my decision to adopt a dog and not go through a breeder. I think it is important to try and enforce the decision to adopt a dog as opposed to breeding. We donated a good portion of money to Big Dogs Huge Paws to stand by our decision. Our money goes straight back to the dogs, all the people that are foster parents and work for the organization are volunteers. They do not get paid and I think that is amazing! Matt and I are considering becoming foster parents to dogs maybe in the next couple years. There are so many dogs out there that are amazing dogs, despite their baggage. Even with Rocky's baggage we couldn't be happier. He really is an amazing, loveable dog. I urge others to really think about their decisions when "purchasing" a pet. Choose to adopt, we found a full bred, and if that's what you want you can find one too. If you want you can check out the site that we adopted from
www.bigdogshugepaws.com I still look every now and then to read the success stories, but every day more pictures of dogs in need go up. I love this organization though because the dogs live in a foster home...not a facility. We have had such an amazing experience and I encourage others to research and of course ADOPT A PET!! :)

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with your soapbox statement!! I hate breeders.