Thursday, March 5, 2009

My program is changing

So earlier this week I thought I registered for my last 3 classes before I was able to start my internship and look forward to graduating by the end of this year...then I received an email.
An email was sent out to everyone in our program discussing that our degree was going to be changing, effective July 1, 2009. Our degree of a Masters in Community Counseling will now be changed to a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, which also means that our credit hours are changing from 48-60. I am still unclear of all the changes that need to be made, but I do know that I will be adding four more classes on to my load that I was not prepared for. Which also means that I will probably not be able to graduate until Summer of 2010.
Since I am still working full-time I do not want to start my internship until I have finished all my classes so that I can focus on the internship fully and get all of my hours done while trying to stay 40 hours a week at Children's. I need 660 hours of internship hours and about 300 of that is immediate client contact, so it is important th at I am able to devote my attention to the internship and the clients and not worry about getting other class projects done. Also, I am going to try and work at least 2 facilities so I can work with the 2 different populations that I am interested in working with. It is going to be a rough couple months when the intership gets started but I think that I am prepared for it.
I really just want to start on my professional career journey and be out there counseling, and now it is going to take even longer and that sucks. Not to mention all of these changes mean that other people, like a really good friend of mine, who have worked so hard at trying to get everything together to graduate by the end of summer are now getting pushed back at least 3-4 months also. I think in the long run it will be a really good thing for all students involved but right now it totally sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber! It worked! YEAH!!!

I am sorry they added more to your program. Hopefully in the long run you will learn more.

What ages are you thinking about counseling?? Adults? Children? At the Children's hospital??

I just started DBT Therapy Controlled Group and its REALLY good. And I have a great therapist....So, I think you are going into a wonderful field.

Keep your chin up. YOur going to be great!