Friday, March 27, 2009

Puppy....

As I have expressed in my last blog...our puppy gets a little crazy when we are not home. He actually has separation anxiety and so he just freaks out when he is alone. Then when you get home it is like he is on drugs, he is so hyper and whining and it is very hard and frustrating to see him like that. So we have tried many alternatives that have been recommended to us but nothing has worked. So a friend/schoolmate who is a vet has offered to help us, he has gotten us a tranquilizer for him that will hopefully settle him down. I know it sound horrible to do to our dog, but you don't know what we go through. He is definitely getting better, but even leaving him alone for an hour leads to blood on our walls and a possible disaster in the waiting. We will not keep him on the tranquilizer for very long, just until we can really work on the behavior and retrain him to be okay with being at home. We also have devised another plan.....

When we got Apollo he was only four months old, but he was a big boy. People that would meet him, including the vet thought that he was about 7 months old. For those of you that don't know, Apollo is a boxer and great dane mix, he is quite the big and dopy boy! But we love him! Anyway, we really missed the puppy stages. I know that most people hate it, but we never got to enjoy the tiny, cute, little puppy stage. So, we have decided to get another puppy! We know that we will have him by the end of April (so expect pictures) and we know what type of dog we don't want but we are keeping are minds open for what we do want. We will not be going to a breeder, we don't really believe in paying top dollar for a pure bred when there are so many puppies that have been rescued and are just waiting for love. We have been checking out different shelters and rescue groups so we know how much the little guy will cost and what the background is for both dogs and shelters. I am very excited and cannot wait!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That might be a really good remedy for your current doggie...Having a pal...And I love that you won't go to a breeder. I hate breeders. I hate puppy mills. I hate pet stores, etc...I am against them. I love people who rescue animals. I think that your doing the right thing with the tranqulizer until you can calm this guy down. Such a cute doggie.

Stacie said...

So I re-found your blog! And your picture of Apollo is ADORABLE!