Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Puppy Training

As many of you know our dog Apollo has some behavioral issues...He has a severe case of separation anxiety which used to be tons worse than it is now. He used to tear up carpet, scratch the doors, tear down blinds and rip apart anything he could find. Now he just gets overly excited when you come home, oh and if you leave the garbage out he gets in that or if you leave the remote on the couch he eats that too (we went through 3 last month plus a dog collar remote). However it is still tons better. Now when you come home it is like he wants to attack you and lick you to death, and for an 80lb dog, that isn't hard to do. So we have to try and hold him down or ignore him and pray that he doesn't get caught in my huge purse and take me down or I'm done for. Also, his tail is so long and hard that everytime he gets overly excited, it hits the wall hard and splits open and covers us and the walls in BLOOD!! Exciting right?! I know, I make you want a dog....
He really is a very sweet dog, but like most dogs that get adopted they have some issues. He also does some leash pullying and jumping up and other things that need some fine tuning. So we called a home trainer that is coming to our apartment next week for a 2 1/2 hour session to help work on these issues. She will come back in 3 weeks for a follow up and than after that she has a lifetime guarentee. Anytime anything happens with Apollo she will come back for free! She is also with a training company that is completely humane in training methods, works without treats, and is rated #1 in the US by SPCA! So I am hopeful and confident that she can help us and Apollo. When we are around Apollo just lays around all day and plays when we get him riled up to play...but when we are gone he is a completely different dog. So we are hoping that she can make him the perfect dog for us and hopefully settle him and show him who is the leader of our pack! Wish us good luck and I will keep you updated...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to tell you to look under my friends and contact TESS KOPPELMAN...She just did a story on this - She is a journalist. She has a rescue dog named Madeline and she might be able to help you. Let me see if I can find the blog article too....http://tesamalu.blogspot.com/2009/05/bad-to-bone.html

Amber said...

Hey thanks so much Carrie, I will check out her website for sure. I am really hoping this woman on Wednesday will be able to help us too,I have heard amazing things about the company.