Thursday, June 4, 2009

Almost done....

As I had my internship interview today I realized how close to the end I really am. It has always felt like it was never going to happen. I have been in school for so long and doing so many things that it is hard to believe that in 6months I will be doing an internship and working on all these skills I have learned and in a year and a half (on my own time table and pace) I will be in the field and actually have a "career." How crazy is that?! It is so hard for me to believe that I am in denial and repressing all of the things that need to happen for this to be over. I am in denial that in less than a year I will need to take comps to graduate and take the NCE to become an LPC (licensed professional counselor). I just keep thinking that it isn't going to happen because it has been so long for it all to come together.

This fall is going to be very rough for me...I will be finishing my last two classes of my master program and starting my internship hours. I am going to try and internship at the place I interviewed this morning 5-10 hours a week, try to get placed with Children's Hospital for an internship and also try to work in the gay and lesbian population a few times to get that experience as well. I also want to try and do a workshop for Bette Ford which is four days plus attend conferences and talks and read to achieve my non-direct hours. I am going to do all this while working 40 hours a week, keeping a boyfriend, a crazy dog, studying for comps and the NCE and trying to make and keep friends (one of my new goals)???? I don't know how I will do it but I guess we will see....

I still have so many decisions to make and I still want to go on and achieve a doctorate but I can really be a counselor in a little over a year! It is all just so unbelievable. I have so many great opportunities at my fingertips right now, I can only hope that I do well and make the right decisions for me. I can't wait to see where this next year will take me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - you have so much coming up...Just be careful not to do too much - really schedule your time...Its gotta be exciting. I have been fighting through illness to just get a degree. I can't wait for one day to have a career.

Carrie

Amber said...

Unfortunately I am notorious for scheduling too much at once. I hope my therapist will be able to help me with relaxation techniques and managing my self care and time. It will be exciting though and you will have your career someday soon. You have come a long way, even in the short time I have been getting "re-aquainted" with you :) I am very proud of how far you have come!