Thursday, June 4, 2009

This week...

This week has been a very long week that started with my weekend ending one of my classes. I finished up the last weekend of my Social and Cultural Diversity class over the weekend and couldn't be happier it was done. Not only for it meaning that I am one step closer to the end, but also because I was so amazed at many things. I was amazed at the different views people had, especially when some of them never had any life experience in those areas. Some of the stories were so interesting because I was able to learn about other peoples backgrounds and family dynamics. However, sometimes I forget how the number of the age doesn't matter, it is the mind of the person that matters and how old they may act. Anyway, I am glad that the class is over and I am grateful for the things I learned and that it was one more class down.

On Monday I had a therapy session after work and it is just so nice to be able to talk about things. Even if there isn't a major problem or objective for that one hour, it is nice to be able to speak and not feel like your being judged for who you are and what you are saying. It is a time that I am allowed to be me and have someone understand that. I loved it. Also, for the first time I didn't focus on the one thing that has been occupying my time in therapy. I think I am finally learning to let go and can now work on other things. I love therapy and I wish that more people were open to it and didn't think it was just for "crazy" people.

Wednesday might have been one of the best days of our week! Our dog trainer from BarkBusters came and she was great. I loved it. I learned so much and really received some great education on why my dog has his behavior issues and what we need to do to help them. I won't go into the details because it is very long, but we are doing a lot of new techniques and training in our day to day lives. Things are going to be difficult but we are going to get through it. If we saw a change in Apollo after only 2 1/2 hours, imagine what he will be like in 3 weeks! I took a walk with him this morning and it was the best walk I have ever had in the year that we have had him. He didn't pull the leash, he didn't cut me off, for once we were walking together, instead of him walking me.

Today I had one of my internship interviews in Parker with a woman named Amy. She runs her own private practice and she works with children and teens as well as families. She has such an amazing journey that led her to where she is and I can only hope that my journey will lead me on something as great as she had. I look forward to interning with her and the children. I remember thinking I was NEVER going to work with children and now I think that is what I want to do the most! It is crazy. Like Amy said today, "Never say never" because you will never know where life will lead you. I think I will be starting with her in October if I can begin to wrap my mind around this internship information and get my butt in gear.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day as well, I have to take Apollo to the vet. He needs shots and a regular check up and definitely a nail trim. I hope our training comes in handy and that he is a well-behaved boy at his checkup.

I just want to try and keep everyone updated on things since I don't get the chance to talk and see everyone all the time. So I know this stuff is boring, sorry. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the days of summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love what you said about how you have to remember that in class how its not everyones actual age - its how they percieve the world and the age they act! SOOOO true. Sometimes I think I am a very old woman at hard...but then again after all the trauma I have gone through I have also turned child like and with my marriage counselor we are trying to balance that back so Josh and I can have a healthy relationship.

I am so glad your doggie is doing better. I will be praying for you guys.

And I am glad you have a therapist too. It makes me wonder if my therapist have therapists...I don't know their personal lives. Its so interesting to read about your journey....You have such a good heart.