Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas time

Last year's Christmas wasn't the best of time for Matt and I. Although we know it isn't all about the presents, we still didn't have any money to buy anything for anyone, or even help bring a food item. We were living in his parents basement, Matt didn't have a job and we were struggling to figure things out. However, we made it through and this Christmas was so much better.

Every Christmas Eve we spend time with Matt's Dad's side of the family. His side is so big that they reserve the hall at the post office where Matt's Dad works and then everyone comes there and it is like a big pot-luck, with a ton of sweets and different types of food. Every Christmas Eve at this celebration, even "Santa" shows up and has all the kids sit on his lap and they all get a toy and their picture taken. It is very cute. They also play the White Elephant game, which personally, I could do without, but it is funny to watch. Matt's Nina and Nino (Godparents) gave him a large tin of BEAUTIFUL Christmas ornaments that his Nina made by hand. They were just amazing, I think next year we will have to break down and buy a small Christmas tree for all the amazing ornaments. His Nina has given him one every year so he has quite the collection with the tin that he received this year.

On Christmas day we went to his parents house and celebrated. We went there a little before everyone else got there so that way his niece and nephews could open their presents from us and grandma and grandpa. They were all so cute...they get so excited about everything. Emilio was excited about a white box before he even knew what was in it. Nessa had gotten a gift for Grandma confused and thought it was hers...it was a flat screen TV and she did her best to hold onto that box and claim it as hers :). She got a small little 15" TV though too, but she wanted the huge flat screen instead. Shortly after the kids were done opening gifts we cleaned up and prepared the tables for all the family to come over and eat. I would say over 50 people showed up from his Mom's side, and that wasn't everyone. We had so much amazing food! We had prime rib, ham, and turkey and all the sides to go with! It was insane, but oh so good. After all the food was eaten and every one's stomach settled, we pulled 2 tables together and sat down and played games. It was a fun and amazing day/night.

I am slowly coming around to Christmas time, I used to wish it wasn't there, but now I am learning to love it. I am still getting used to all of the family traditions and the amount of family with Matt but in the end I still love them and the time I have with them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet story. I love that you have Matt's family to celebrate with and I am so glad you like Christmas. I don't really have any family on my sides of the family - Josh has SOOO much family....Its so overwhelming but nice at the same time.