Recently I have started therapy and along with therapy comes the stereotype of being in therapy and I think that view is unfair and would like to clear the air. Therapy is not only for the people that some consider "crazy" or with mental disorders, therapy is for anyone and everyone. It is a great opportunity to learn about yourself and grow from it. Everyone in life has difficult days, and sometimes it easier to talk about those difficult days with someone who isn't directly involved with your life and can give you a different perspective on things.
When I began telling people I was in therapy the common reaction was "WHY?! What is wrong with you?!" NOTHING is wrong with me, I am in therapy because I have some baggage as do most people, but I want to learn from it and grow for it. What kind of therapist would I become if I was never once the client? I think that therapy is a wonderful experience that can teach a person so much about themselves and learn how to work through whatever problems or issues they may be dealing with in life. It's okay to be in therapy just to be in therapy and have someone to talk to and listen to. I sometimes get sad when I hear people say, "I know I have issues but I don't want to know what they are and I don't want to deal with them." I only say sad because I don't know another appropriate word for it. I just feel like therapy is such a great release and now having been through the process I believe in it even more than I did when I began my masters counseling program.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am having an amazing experience in therapy and the breakthroughs I have had have really made me think and are helping me grow. So it is okay for someone to be in therapy, you don't have to have a "problem" or be "crazy" to be in therapy; it's just another way to find yourself and grow.
1 comment:
AMEN and a few tears is all I can say to you about this blog.
Post a Comment