After watching re-runs of America's Next Top Model (don't start with me...I can't help it, I love that show), the re-run of Dance Your Ass Off! came on and so I decided to watch it. I found myself being overwhelmed with emotions as these people told their stories and discovered what their true weights were. These contestants were amazing!!! They can move! Some of the contestants lost over 10lbs in 1 week!! How amazing and great is that for them?! Sorry for all the exclamation points, I just found myself so emotional and so excited for these contestants. Some of the contestants face diabetes, obesity and life changes that have caused them to gain weight and it is amazing what great spirits and excitement they have. I mean they were all just so happy and were proud to be out there and shaking their asses off!! It was just great to me and I loved how the wardrobe didn't try to cover them...they made real dance outfits for them and these contestants went out there and rocked it! It was just great to watch and see these individuals out there having a great time and being excited and happy about who they are.
On the other hand, I found myself so disappointed to know that someone had to go home in the end. I mean, barely a week into it and the girl who was a model and gained 65lbs in 2 years had to go home. I felt so bad for her. A lot of these contestants feel that this really is their last shot at losing their weight to live healthy, long lives and this girl barely got the chance to prove what she could do. I don't really know how else to explain myself, I was just so saddened for her and disappointed that the show didn't do more. I don't know what I expected them to do, I mean it is a competition and someone has to go home, but I just wish they would have kept her in contact with a nutritionist, therapist or even a trainer to help her continue to lose the weight and feel better about herself. That could of course be something that was done behind the scenes, but I just felt at a loss that this girl went home after one week and this is a serious show about these individuals wanting to lose weight to live and be healthy.
The show was interesting for me to watch because of the field I am in. I have chosen to not specialize in eating disorders as a therapist in the future. I will never turn a client down but I know that there are better qualified therapists out there for them. However, I really wanted to work with this clientele as well, especially after watching the contestants talk about their lives and their families. What heartache and hardships they must have gone through. I don't know, I just sat there wishing I could do something for other people out there facing any eating disorder. Other people don't always understand the hardships individuals go through who are overweight...there are stereotypes and I am beginning to notice that people just focus on the stereotype and not the person. As I get older I find myself realizing more and more about life and people. It is all so interesting. Also, as a side note, I am not forgetting about individuals who suffer with bulimia/anorexia, binge-eating, emotional eating, crash diets, all of the eating disorders and eating problems people face everyday; this show was focused on those who are overweight for many different reasons. I also think that people who are overweight may suffer from more stereotypes and other stigmas than other people...that is why there is a show like this. It helps them to feel better about themselves but also to become better and healthier.
However, I still think the show was great and the idea behind it is great too. These people involved are just so committed and focused and have amazing stories. I was proud of them for going out there on national TV and shaking their "asses off." I am now officially addicted to that show as well. Oh boy, someone help me. I watch one episode of something and I am addicted and have to find out what happens next ;)
2 comments:
I am going to have to watch that show now....I am scared I will cry though....I want to be doing that....And your right - I hope the show does send people home with help to keep losing the weight....I saw it advertised when I was watching Tori and Dean Inn Love or whatever its called now....I am so overweight and need help...I cry about it all the time and don't know what to do....it sucks because if I could be performing - I would be happy.
You should definitely watch that show, I think it is very inspiring. I also love the Tori and Dean show I don't care what anyone says. You are working at losing the weight and becoming healthy, you have overcome so many obstacles in your life from what you have told me; you can overcome this too. I have faith in you and I know that you can do it.
Post a Comment