I originally thought that I was going to start my internship this semester, in October. However, as things went on the placement I had set-up was starting to feel un-easy. Something didn't feel right to me so I listened to my gut and pushed everything back until January.
One of the reasons that I did that was because one of the places I wanted to work for was not taking interns until January. I had really wanted to intern at this location because it worked with chronically mentally ill individuals. Their main clientele consisted of individuals suffering from the following disorders: Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar, Borderline, Major Depression, Eating Disorders and Substance Abuse and a few others. I really thought that this place would give me the exposure I need to discover if that is the clientele I can handle working with. I called and set up an interview for this last Monday, yesterday I received the call that said I did not get the position. They chose the other girl because she had more experience with this clientele.
I was very disappointed and frustrated. This is the first time that I have ever not gotten something after an interview has been done. I know that could sound egotistical but it is the truth. That also means that for the first time I am really having to deal with the rejection of a job that I really wanted. The interview went so well and I really thought I was going to get it, but unfortunately experience always wins out in the end.
That is so frustrating! How can I gain the experience if I am not allowed to have the opportunity to gain the experience? I know there is more out there and that in the end this just means this was not the right place for me. I am trying hard to believe what I normally do - that everything happens for a reason. In practicum they tell us that you will get the client that you need, and I did. Now I just have to believe that I will get the internship that I need and I will. I know that I'll eventually find something, it has just been so frustrating. Also knowing that almost everyone I started the program with is graduating before the end of this year or have already graduated is hard too. I feel like I am behind even though I know that I am not. I chose to take this slow course and in many ways I am glad that I did, but sometimes I still feel like others are looking down on me for not being done sooner.
Anyways, to try and end on a better note, I know that I will find something and I am really thinking hard about what places to intern at. I want to push myself and be open to everything because that is how I will get the best experience. I just have to be patient.
1 comment:
I respect you for doing what is right for you and not letting anyone elses path influence yours. You need to be happy! That is most important. Good for you for taking your time and finding the right internship, instead of settling and stressing to get your hours done in a hurry!
Post a Comment