Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hawaii

Although the title sounds exciting the blog itself is not. I have been thinking for over 2 years on when I can make it back to Hawaii to see my Dad, meet his wife and enjoy a vacation with such beautiful scenery with Matt and have them meet. My Dad of course asks me every phone call when I can come, which is great, I love that he wants to see me so much. However, under the pressure I cracked and said we could make it in August without really thinking about how life actually works. If we had money, August would be the only reasonable time because my life goes hectic after September 10th...however we don't have the money or the time or the stress-free set of mind. Unfortunately, after further consideration and really looking at life's turn of events we decided it could not be done. I had to call him and break the bad news. I hope he knows how much it hurt me to tell him I can't make it and that a trip will have to wait until next year when I graduate. I feel that will be a much better time to go because we could go for two weeks (we have a yearish to plan and save) and we could really spend quality time there without worrying about our dog, money, bills, PTO, etc. We did not want to feel rush, pressured or worried being that we had less than 2 months to plan and save and figure out what to do with Apollo.
Having a dog really is like having a child, especially when that dog has special "needs." It would cost money to kennel him, if we paid a sitter they could never leave unless they were prepared to handle a hyperactive dog trying to maul them when they got home from over excitement, and the "in-laws" are no longer an option because he is not safe in their backyard. He knows there is no boundaries and he doesn't always learn from first, second, or third mistakes so he is injured everytime he is there (the most recent will be in another blog).
We have so much going on and I am dealing with so many things personally that I just think now is not the time. I have to consider my life as it is and where it stands financially and Hawaii just can't be an option right now. I am heartbroken but what can I do? Even though he offered to pay it is not feasible...either way money would still be spent, PTO would still be used or not used and stress will continue to be a factor. I had to be wise and careful in my decision, it is just unfortunate.
However, I look forward to planning and saving for an amazing trip in June. I will be graduating, it will be summer and we can relax! We can do so much more then, maybe even visit another island, I still have yet to do that. It will come, I just have to be patient and wise with financial decisions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better get to Hawaii or your GROUNDED!!!HaHaHa. Hon... I totally understand & respect your decision to visit after you graduate. Its not my intention to create any pressure for you to visit. My logical and emotional thoughts sometimes struggle for balance. Next summer is a better choice with all the activities going on in your life right now. We will have a great time! Maybe you will have time to submit employment applications while you are visiting,(hint-hint)---but, no pressure tho. ;-) Please know that im very proud of you & will pray for your happiness & contentment in all of the life decisions you make. Love always, Dad

Anonymous said...

I just read your dad's comment and got tears in my eyes....WOW!! You have a dad that really loves you!!! As to Hawaii...That will always be there and your dad is cool with you waiting...and as to your doggie - I understand. I have a special needs cat...So, its alot of stress to worry about all that....I think your logical plan is really a good one and you will have a great time when you finally get out there. I can't wait until I can go to Hawaii someday. Amber you are awesome and you make good decisions. Remember that. I know how much you love your dad - but he sounds wonderful and great - so, all will be ok....HUGS

Amber said...

Thanks Dad...I really appreciate you reading my blogs and commenting on this one. I really was heartbroken but I thank you for understanding. I love you and I promise I will plan a long amazing trip in June.

Thanks for your support as well Carrie, your right, I have an amazing Dad and I don't know what I would do without him in my life. Thanks for being so supportive of Apollo too, it's hard when people don't understnad.